Wednesday, December 19, 2012

He Should Have Folded, Walked Away, or Run

The other day while I was driving back from a meeting and was switching stations, I came across the old Kenny Rogers' song, "The Gambler".   I decided to really listen to the words, which I did.  It caused me to think about them in depth - and I came to the conclusion that this never would have went down the way he says it does in the song.  Why?  

There are too many problems in the story, such as:
  1. It takes place on a train.  Kenny is and was at the time, a multi-millionaire.  He's going to be traveling in style - not jabbering with a ne'er-do-well on a train.
  2. The gambler is itinerant.  He's broke.  He panhandles Kenny for cigarettes and whiskey.  Come on!
  3. His advice stinks:  "Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em."  That's it?  No specifics on how to do that?  I'd have asked for my cigarettes and whiskey back after hearing that.
  4. Don't count your money at the table.  Why not?  Isn't knowing how much you have in funds part of Gambling Money Management 101?  Plus, chips are easy to count - just stack 'em.  I'm starting to think this guy wasn't very bright.
  5. The final piece of advice is even worse:  "The best that you can hope for is to die in your sleep."  What the hell?  Seriously?  That's the best "hope" this guy has?  I think Kenny should have hightailed it to another car.
  6. Then, the finale:  The guy dies within minutes of partaking of the cigarettes and the whiskey that Kenny supplied him with - and there's no mention of an investigation?  What about his detainment while they await an autopsy or toxicology report?  There's no chance he just "slips" away....
I don't mean to pick on Kenny.  I like a good song as much as the next person.  But next time, please, how about a little reality?  I'm just sayin'......
 


No comments:

Post a Comment