Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Slower Traffic Keep Right

Dear Fast Lane Drivers:  If you can't drive at or slightly above the speed limit, MOVE OVER!


This past Friday, I had to drive down to San Diego for a business meeting.  As I was making my way down the 15 (by the way, a far superior drive time-wise, than the 5), there were several things that stood out to me.  The first being that the speed limit is 70 miles per hour for most of the trip.  This is great, because you can go 75 or so, without worry of getting pulled over...that's making some good time.  The second thing I noticed were the signs just to the left of the fast lane that said "Slower Traffic Keep Right".  I kept seeing this sign and wondered why, until....I kept coming up behind cars in the fast lane, with no traffic in front of them, driving, like 60 miles per hour.  They wouldn't move over either.  I could see them check their mirrors, but were almost happy to cause me to slow down.  This is what causes traffic people, not an excess of cars.  It's too many slow-driving cars that causes the slow down.  I think our Highway Patrol should adopt what they do in Germany:  Ticket those who refuse to move over and are impeding traffic.  When I used to commute by motorcycle, many times I actually found the "front" of the traffic stream, by passing other cars.  As crazy as it seems, it exists.   

"...I realized I wasn't in Belgium anymore"


 Was her name Dorothy?  A lady relies on her GPS device to the point where she drives 900 miles out of her way, to another country.  The trip took 2 days and included such fun as going through Germany and France, two stops at a gas station, a fender-bender and a snooze.  All this time she never checked to see if she was where she was supposed to be?  The story is linked here

This Is Just Silly:  Scotch Tape Portraits


Not On My Lawn


No matter which side of the gun control debate you come down on, I think you have to appreciate the hypocrisy of the news media in this story, which is linked by Powerline, a website I read regularly.  The video is somewhat long, but it's effective.  The group doing the video poses as an anti-gun group and asks to place signs on the lawn of some reporters and editors who think it's okay to publish the names and addresses of gun owners.  The results shouldn't surprise anyone who pays attention to this topic, or to the media, but it is funny and revealing.


Calling All Pet Detectives


A couple in Corona calls out a Pet Psychic/Pet Detective to find their missing Yorkie.  Okay - originally, I was going to make all kinds of fun of this...the Pet Psychic part is sketchy, and a picture on the detective's website of her holding a parabolic microphone look silly...but she has actually found a bunch of missing pets.  She uses a bloodhound to track the scent.  The story is here and her website is here.  Can I just say it once, though?  "Finkle is Einhorn.  Einhorn is Finkle"  Sorry, couldn't help it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment