Saturday, August 23, 2014

Post Road Trip Post

Northern California

I had a great time on our recently-concluded road trip to Northern California.  I had never been to Bodega Bay, nor Carmet (not Carmel, but a small town just North of Bodega Bay), but it was a great place to get away from the heat (103 degrees in Chino the day before we departed) and to relax. 

The sun didn't come out, and I understand that when it does the area takes on a completely different look - but we were okay with it.  Misty evenings and mornings were fine by us.  I finally stopped checking emails and went back to reading the Brad Thor book I brought with me.  After all, isn't the purpose of a vacation to relax a little? 

 View from the deck of the house:


 A photo taken from the beach near Carmet:


 
 I've already written about the drive itself, so I won't get into that again, but suffice it to say, my whole family had a great time.
 
San Francisco 

Our day trip to San Francisco (really to Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf) turned out to be very fun.   I think the family (wife, daughter and two boys) all enjoyed themselves.  I have put some pictures up of some of the sights we took in. 

I had a great time as well, and was able to get back to what I do best (worst?):  Annoying random people, while I laugh. 

One of the best (although it was last chronologically) came while we we driving up Hyde Street to reach Lombard.  Traffic had stopped and a lady decided she would go into the middle of the street and take a picture of her son (20's?) - with the ocean as a backdrop.  I leaned out of the driver's window as far as I could until I was ensured of an excellent photobomb (complete with mouth wide open with a stupid grin and arms waving).  Mom didn't notice.  Son did - and he laughed.

The second and third (both captured in pictures) came when we stopped to eat.  The first was at Chipotle, and occurred while my daughter was going to pick up her food, after her number had been called.  I decided I wanted to sit down, but there was little room - except for one seat/stool, which was right next to (and I mean RIGHT NEXT TO) a man and his wife.

I sat down - too close (ya think?).  It is possible my shoulders touched his.  He leaned away.  His wife stared at me.  Then my daughter walked up, and I convinced her to go outside and take a picture of me from the vantage point of the sidewalk.  Wife became very annoyed.  It's hard to see in the photo, since there is a reflection of a young girl, but if you can look through it (I put a red circle around it to help), you will see the look the wife is giving my daughter.  My daughter and I laughed.


The next stop was In-N-Out, where my wife and boys were ordering our food.  It was packed.  We tried to stalk for a table, but gave up after awhile with no success.  I finally found a spot (albeit tight) to sit down.  Again, a crazily-small spot on a stool, which made me completely wedge in between two patrons.  I sat down - not enough room.  So, I spun around and had my daughter take my picture.  The two tried to ignore me - pretty successfully too - as we snapped the shot.  Anyway, we laughed again.  My wife was a little embarrassed, but she laughed too. 



These trips go so fast and become memories before we know it, so I wanted to make sure we all had fun. 

That we did.  Thank you San Francisco!




Alcatraz:



 View up Hyde:
 

 Lombard Street



 Golden Gate Bridge as we left:













No comments:

Post a Comment