Monday, August 18, 2014

The Cure for What Ails You: ROAD TRIP!

Road Trip!

It's been a while since our family has taken a real vacation.  For many years, our annual vacation was a week at Doheny State Beach, but we have not been there in over two years.  Other than a quick, long weekend run to Lake Mohave last year, we haven't had a full family vacation.

I put in for the week of August 18-22 off from work, but we really hadn't made plans as to where we were going to go.  I wanted to make sure we went somewhere, because a week on vacation at home turns into a week of working around the house and checking work emails.  I wasn't up for that.

During a meeting several weeks ago, a work colleague offered up his family's house for several nights.  It is situated on the coast, up by Bodega Bay (North of San Francisco).  I was stunned by the very generous offer, as was my wife.  Absent his offer, I don't think this vacation happens.

Anyway, we planned to take off early (originally 5am, but that didn't happen) Sunday morning.  We woke up around 5 or so, loaded the car, cruised through the drive up ATM and then pulled onto the freeway around 6:20am.  The sun was just trying to peek over the horizon, but it was still dark out.  It was a perfect way to start a road trip.

Everyone (except me) fell back asleep, and the car was silent as we drove up the 71, then the 210 up to and through Pasadena, and finally we hit the 5.  It was still fairly dark out and it was very quiet in the car as we climbed the 5.  For me, this part of the drive is all preliminary. 

The official "road trip" part of a Northern California drive, usually doesn't start for me until I hit the Grapevine.  This time was no exception.  I enjoyed the first part of the trip, but it's still on roads that are too familiar, as it's all on freeways that I drive on fairly regularly.  This time, when we crested the hill and I could see the Grapevine stretched out in front of us, I could feel myself start to relax.  It was very peaceful, just driving along while everyone slept.

I guess this part of the trip reminds me of many of the trips taken in the past.  When I was younger, we would take road trips up to Northern California from time to time, to visit my uncle, aunt and cousins.  I remember a few of these trips specifically;  like the time when I was around 12, riding in a big flatbed truck with my Uncle Tom.  We had some trouble with the two speed shifter in the rear differential of the truck, but my uncle was able to fix it and we were able to move on. 

Another time, I remember riding up with my Aunt Jeanie (brother to Uncle Tom) in her beige Buick Riviera (1974?).  Any trip up the I5 with Aunt Jeanie (and any trip with my dad, for that matter) included an obligatory stop at Harris Ranch to eat.  Great memories.

Back to this trip.  We did exit where Harris Ranch is, but only to gas up the car and to get some snacks.  Everyone woke up when I exited the freeway, and the rest of the trip seemed much more alive - with everyone talking.  It turned out to be two trips in one:  the first leg, which was the quiet, thoughtful part;  the second leg was filled with conversation and laughter.  Both were great. 

We made it up to the Bodega Bay area (which is very beautiful!), met with my coworker and his wife who gave us the lay of the land for the coast house, then departed and left us to enjoy the house, the view and some nice family time.  We're having a blast and feel very lucky to be here.  More posts to come.  


No comments:

Post a Comment